NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all allies, a NATO official said on Wednesday in response to questions about a report in the Financial Times that Iran has allegedly weighed attacking US military targets in Europe should Donald Trump escalate the war.
“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defenses successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defense posture is strong https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/iran-news/article-905955and effective,” the official said.
Iran reportedly weighs expanding conflict beyond Middle East
According to the FT, Tehran has been weighing ways to broaden the confrontation beyond the Middle East if Washington intensifies military action.
One regime insider said Iran was preparing options to expand the conflict if Trump followed through on previous threats to attack Iranian infrastructure. Another said Tehran would place “no limits” on its response.
Two people close to the Iranian regime told the newspaper that Iranian forces had assessed possible attacks on US assets in southeastern Europe, including Bulgaria, which last month approved the use of its Bezmer air base for American refueling aircraft.
They also said that Iran has examined attacking submarine fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if tensions escalate, according to the FT.
This is a developing story.