A haredi (ultra-Orthodox) settler group clashed with West Bank Palestinians after entering a village during an unapproved hike, the IDF confirmed on Friday.
The group had not received approval from IDF forces prior to entering the West Bank.
On their arrival at the village, a number of Palestinians approached and threw rocks at them, lightly wounding several of the Israelis.
A civilian security coordinator who subsequently arrived at the scene fired into the air, and then shot at the Palestinians whom he claimed were endangering the settlers. As a result, one 18-year-old Palestinian was killed, and another teenager heavily wounded, Army Radio reported.
Later, Palestinian sources said that the wounded teenager, a 17-year-old, had also died.
The IDF stated that a fire was started in a Palestinian home, and Army Radio reported that it had allegedly been set by the settlers. Footage circulated online showing the fire in one of the village homes. As a result of the fire, Army Radio said, a 65-year-old Palestinian was evacuated due to smoke inhalation.
The village is several hundred meters away from an illegal outpost, according to Army Radio.
The IDF entered the village in order to extract the group, and the police and the IDF have opened an investigation into the incident.
No injuries to the IDF soldiers were reported.
IDF arrests Palestinians for attempting to attack soldiers
Earlier this week, several Palestinians were arrested by the IDF after attempting to attack Israeli soldiers in the West Bank city of Hebron, Ynet reported.
The report cited an IDF spokesperson, who said the military arrived on the scene following an altercation between Palestinians and Israeli settlers who were throwing stones at each other.
Upon their arrival, a group of Palestinians surrounded the IDF soldiers and attempted to attack them, with the soldiers responding by firing shots at two of the attackers and arresting several others, according to Ynet.
Efrat Forsher contributed to this report.